Monday, February 6, 2012

Decision to Go

First let me say this is my first time blogging so be patient. I will try to share often so that my support team knows what to pray for and can stay up to date. Our support teams are a crucial members of this trip, without all of you this trip to China would not be possible.

Some decisions are hard ones to make and others just feel like your being lead right to them. My parents came back from a visit to Ohio and my dad told me my Uncle Mike DeGuzman mentioned me going to China for a mission's trip this summer. My uncle and his family have had the opportunity to serve God on mission trips all over the world: Ukraine, South Africa and China. My dad and I talked about what the China trip consisted of briefly and I didn't think too much more about it the rest of the day. The days that followed though I prayed about it a great deal before my uncle and I even talked about it. It just seemed like something I couldn't quit thinking about.

I love teaching. I love seeing the spark in students' eyes when they get it. I love helping them make impossible tasks possible. I work where I do because I also like being able to work with a group of students that I feel I can be used by God to make a difference in their lives by being a positive and uplifting influence. China combines these passions and I can't wait to see how God can use my teaching skills to glorify him. I am so excited about getting to use my passion for teaching to serve God. 

I also love traveling. I love to see new places, experience new cultures, and just expand my horizons. Missions trips seem to be one of the most influential ways to experience a country. On these trips you don't just see the country; you get a glimpse of what life is like there for everyday people.It not only alters the way you pray and view that country in the future but it also changes the way you view your own life. Often our own problems seem so big. It is easy to forget, especially when we are going through tough times, how truly blessed we are to live in the United States and how good we have it here.  I know there are many lessons that I learned on previous trips to Mexico that greatly influence my spiritual life and the way I view life in general.

A few weeks ago my uncle and I talked about China and everything he said just made me feel even more led to go on this trip. The finances were one part that had me a little nervous. I had been praying about that part of the trip quite a bit. A few days later I got an e-mail for $2 off a passport photo. I needed to renew my passport and just found it a little more than coincidental that I actually opened this drugstore e-mail and that of all things there was a coupon for passport photos. On January 28th I was on my way to mail my passport application when I accidentally called my Aunt Sherry DeGuzman instead. I mention to her my fears about the finances. It turned out my uncle was having a meeting that night about just that. So later that day I was able to attend the first team meeting for CBC Ocala, FL via Skype. I officially decided the next day to take a leap of faith, follow God and signed up to join the team. 

I am really excited about this opportunity. There are several prayer requests that I have right now as I prepare to go. Here are some things I could use some prayer for:
  • My passport arriving safely. I know it arrived in Philadelphia on the 31st and should be getting processed now. 
  • That God will provide the support needed for each deadline.
  • That I will be able to find resources and professional development material that will help me better understand the obstacles Chinese students have in learning English and learn more about their culture. The curriculum is going to be provided for me. However, I know the key to quality teaching is understanding the group you are working with. 
  • Time management. The busy season is just starting at work. I know this trip will require lots of preparation and devotion so just prayers that I will be able to find balance in my life is important. 
Thanks for your prayers and support.

~ Melissa

PS- Here is a song that has me kind of inspired this week. From time to time maybe I will share more of these. Song Inspiration- Mark Schultz Let's Go

No comments:

Post a Comment