Sunday, March 4, 2012

Overview- My Support Letter

I have had a few people contact me about wanting to join my support team from Facebook. I thought it would be helpful if I put my most recent copy of my support level on here.

March 4, 2012
Dear Friends and Family,

            I hope your year is starting off well. I am halfway through my 8th year teaching. It doesn’t seem quite possible. I am writing to you today to tell you about an amazing teaching opportunity I have been presented with for the summer.  I have been invited along with nearly 100 people by English Encounter International to participate in a Vacation Language and Character School in Beijing, China. This will be their fifth year in China and the ministry continues to grow. The team will be comprised of teens and adults from evangelical churches all over the United States.



            The English and character camps were started by Community Bible Church in Beaufort, SC shortly after the fall of communism in Ukraine. The ministry advanced to rural villages in South Africa in 2005, and then to China in 2007. In addition to these camps Community Bible Church has lead parenting and marriage seminars and provided pastoral support. These camps have been very successful in the Ukraine and have lead to the creation of Christian Orphanage and a Bible college in Vinnista to best meet the needs of all the new believers.


            While in China we will be running camps to teach English. The Bible will be the base of our curriculum. The camps will include a time of crafts, exercise and learning English. My job while there will be to teach English to our students. Education is very important to the Chinese. Therefore, it is important to the success of our camp that our students learn English successfully. The Chinese do a great job teaching grammar and English rules but have little to no opportunity to learn from or converse with native English speakers.

I am excited God can use my love of teaching English as a ministry to people that may never hear about Him otherwise. I have been on a few missions trips to work with kids in inner-city Chicago and have been to Mexico twice. I have learned a great deal from every trip and grown so much in my walk with the Lord from these trips.  When I went to Mexico I had already had years of Spanish classes to help me. This will be the first time I will be somewhere that I can’t rely on what I have learned to help me. I will just have to trust God.


I am in the process right now of building a support team. I would like for you to pray about joining this support team. The first way you can be part of this team is by praying for the team and me. Prayer as we prepare for the trip and while we are in China is crucial. I am also in need of people that would like to join with financial support. This trip is going to be $3,300. I need to be at $2475 by May 20th. All money needs to be in by July 1st. My current support level is at $1670. I am encouraged how the financial and prayer support is coming together to create an amazing support team.


Should you feel compelled to give towards this project please make checks out to Community Bible Church. This is the most I have ever had to raise for a missions trip; but, I believe God is calling me to go on this trip so I am going to take this leap of faith. I am praying with my summer school work funds, support and some other creative ideas to raise money that funding will not be an issue. If you know of anyone that really has a heart for China please feel free to share this information with them as well. You may also follow my blog at http://cripechina.blogspot.com/. I will be contacting you to follow up in about a week and to answer any questions you may have. Thanks again for your time and your prayerful consideration.  

In Christ,
            Melissa Cripe

No comments:

Post a Comment